In the recent past, we, as a family, were not very conscientious of how much waste we contribute to our planet. Plus, we never realized how toxic our household products were and how unhealthy they were for our bodies and fertility in particular (I truly believe that the changes we made contributed to our surprise natural pregnancy). By living a more sustainable life you save a lot of money too! There are so many alternatives to your every day products that can help you contribute to society and your own health.
Here are 5 ways we have started living a more sustainable life.
- Full Circle Ziptuck Bags: When Full Circle reached out to me about becoming a brand ambassador, I was really excited because their company is exactly the type of company I love to work with and their ideas aligned with ours. We started using their Ziptuck bags instead of single use plastic bags. They are made from plant based materials which makes them safer to use for food, they are reusable, and they are BPA free! They are also hand-washable and dishwasher safe which is helpful if you are using them for messy food. Plus, they come in super cute patterns, which I am a total sucker for! We’ve been using them for Peyton’s snacks, crayons, and whatever else she decides to put in her bags. Aaron uses the larger size as a sandwich bag when he goes into the office. They would also make the perfect makeup bag for traveling! (We can’t wait to start traveling again)!
Disclosure: Although this is a sponsored post, all opinions are honest and my own. I will only post about products that I truly love.
- We became a one car family: Aaron’s car was on it’s last leg. We decided that instead of getting another car, we would at least make the attempt to be a one car family. Since Aaron works from home and I stay at home with our babies, it seemed like the most logical thing to do. While it has it’s challenges at times, we find that the money savings is 100% worth it! We just have a little extra planning to do when it comes to traveling anywhere.
- Making our own cleaning products: I started making my own household cleaning products when Peyton was an infant. I can link the blog I wrote to show you how. This saves us money and I never have to worry about Peyton getting into them because I know exactly what is in them and none of it is toxic. We still buy certain things for cleaning, but we always choose a safer alternative. Blog link to follow: https://thetrieflertribe.com/2017/11/18/diy-natural-cleaning/
- Using microfiber towels instead of paper towels for cleaning: Microfiber towels are amazing. I find they work way better than paper towels anyway, BUT, we contribute to less waste by using them for everyday cleaning. You can get a TON of them for cheap on Amazon 🙂
- Reusable shopping bags: We always used the plastic shopping bags when we went food shopping. Once we started going to Aldi (a food store in our area) we began using reusable shopping bags. They hold a LOT more weight than regular plastic bags and you can use them for years to come.
We have a lot more work to do and a lot more changes to make. Every little bit counts and these are just a few of the things we do to live a more sustainable life. If you try to live a more sustainable lifestyle, leave a comment and tell me what you do! We’d love to know!