I’ve been waiting to do this blog for a while. I really wanted to wait until after our latest appointment anyway. The past few weeks have been a tad bit stressful as far as how this birth is going to go, it still is, but things have changed!
Since I first felt Weston move, I knew he was breech most of the time, if not always. Everyone was telling me that he is so small still and he has plenty of time to move but I just felt really discouraged about it. I told myself in the beginning of this pregnancy that I would do everything I could to make sure he wasn’t breech like his stubborn big sister. I started going to physical therapy and the chiropractor early on to ensure that I was in proper alignment so that he could settle into a favorable position. He was still breech at my ultrasound at 22 weeks and I just had this sinking feeling that something wasn’t right with me. Maybe my pelvis is shaped differently or maybe I just make breech babes. Now some of you may be asking why I would even worry since I would probably have a repeat c-section anyway, right? Wrong.
When I first found out I was pregnant, one of the many first thoughts I had was, oh man, I don’t want to have another surgery. I didn’t have the best experience and some of it was quite traumatic. I knew a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) was a possibility given the reason I had a c section in the first place was only due to Peyton’s positioning. Problem is, NO ONE around here will do them. At least not at a hospital nearby and I wasn’t too keen on a home birth VBAC (HBAC). Which meant I would have to travel. That alone made me nervous and I just wasn’t sure about what I wanted to do. This is a VERY personal decision and MANY things come into play when making choices like these. It’s not black and white for everyone. A lot of people believe that a repeat c section is your only option and it just isn’t. If you are a good candidate, it is SAFER to attempt a VBAC rather than have a repeat c-section. If you want more information on that or aren’t fully sold on what I’m saying feel free to click this link and read up on it.
After lots of research, discussions with my husband, discussions with family members about how this could work (since we have Peyton to think about as well), we decided that this would be the best option for us. That is the MAIN reason I chose to leave my primary OBGYN and travel down to Boca to become a patient of Boca Midwifery. They have a 13% c-section rate and have MANY MANY successful VBACS. I HIGHLY recommend them regardless because every single employee there is absolutely fantastic and it’s like you’re on another planet when you visit that office. NOTHING like the care we get here. I also have a doula who is amazing and such a pleasure. I can’t wait for her to be by our side when baby boy arrives, regardless of how that will be.
So since that ultrasound, Weston was transverse a lot of the time. Transverse means that he was completely sideways across my stomach which is extremely uncomfortable and sometimes painful. So when we went to our scan yesterday, I told the ultrasound tech “I already know he’s sideways so you don’t even have to say it”. I literally didn’t want to hear it even though I felt in my heart that it was true. She started the scan and she says “Nope, head is down.” We were SHOCKED and my mouth basically dropped to the floor. I had NO IDEA he had moved. I honestly don’t feel much different at all so I’m wondering how long he has really been that way. I was already mentally preparing myself for a repeat c section and this just opened the door for a potential VBAC. It is early, he can still move, but the fact that he has his head down there at ALL means so much to me. I truly believed there was a reason my babies couldn’t get their heads down there. So although a VBAC is never guaranteed, the opportunity for a chance is there, and I couldn’t be more excited and happy.
Baby boy is measuring a week and half ahead. COMPLETELY different than his sister who was at one point, measuring 3 weeks BEHIND. He is in the 74th percentile… Peyton was below the 10th. So you can imagine the difference I feel lol He is healthy and extremely active and SO SO cute. The ultrasound tech turned on the 4D and we got to see his sweet sweet face. He looks JUST like Peyton. I went to see my midwife after that and finally got to meet my doula face to face! They were all so so happy and it was so nice to feel supported and understood.
So, I know that a repeat c-section is a possibility. If that happens, I may feel disappointed, but I know this time will be different. The doctor who would perform my surgery is very highly sought after and he is SUPER nice and easy going. No matter what, I know I’ll have a better birth experience. I know I’ll be treated with dignity and respect and have LOADS of support. I am nervous about the hour and 15 minute drive if I go into labor, of course. There are so many unknowns and most of you know that I’m an anxious person to begin with. This should tell you how badly I want this. How much I advocated for the BEST care and not just agree to something my doctor said because of “convenience” or “fear of being sued”. Do your research. ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF. Do what YOU feel is best for you. There are doctors out there who want the same. In the end, it won’t be about how this birth ended. VBAC or C-section. It’s about fighting for your right for the CHANCE and OPPORTUNITY to achieve the birth YOU desire.